Drone Insurance Top Tip Tuesdays
Currently, in South Africa, there are estimated to be between 40 000 and 50 000 drones, surprised!? But only about 663 Remote Piloted Aircraft Systems are in the country, which means almost all drones are flown by amateurs. Another “fun” fact? Almost 10% of drones in South Africa are destroyed on their FIRST flight and most crashes? Those are due to simple pilot errors. 👩✈️ So we’ve compiled a list of checks to do before flying your drone! And if you do crash it by mistake, well we hope it’s covered with Pineapple Insurance. 🍍
1. Check The Flying Conditions
- Most drones aren’t suitable for flying in windy or freezing conditions — check the weather and temperature before you take off.
2. Check The Location
- Never fly near the restricted zones of airports, over stadiums, crowds or near emergency response efforts and hospitals.
3. Comply With The Law
- Research the drone laws in the area you intend to fly, and comply with them!
4. Ensure Your Drone Is Fit For Flight
- Ensure your batteries are adequately charged.
- Scrutinise the drone preflight checklist and go through every part of the drone to see any signs of obstruction or damage!
5. Update Your Drone Software, ALWAYS
- This step is essential, make sure your drone’s firmware is up to date and that your drone is calibrated in terms of navigation, connectivity, and behaviour!
6. Flying Your Drone Over Water?
- When flying over water make sure that your drone floats and that you have a means of retrieving it should it fall into the water!
7. Carrying Something?
- When carrying things, such as camera equipment, make sure that weight limits are not exceeded.
That’s that from us! We hope it helps you fly safe but before we say goodbye a little bit about ourselves — Pineapple Insurance. 🙏🌈 We’ve helped insurance level up by offering insurance in a snap, with a snap! 📸 A snap? That’s right! Get quotes, take out cover, submit claims all in our award-winning app! Earn rewards AND get all leftover premiums back. Oh and we’re underwritten by Old Mutual Insure. 🎉💸
GET A QUOTE NOW
Pineapple is underwritten by Old Mutual Insure Limited, a Licensed FSP, and Non-Life insurer. T&C’s apply.